Saturday, December 06, 2008

Freewheels are for P*****s.JPG


Freewheels are for P*****s.JPG
Originally uploaded by sense of movement

(click the link for more photos)

Q: Why am I riding a fixed wheel?
A: Because I can!

Busselton is the flattest Ironman course in the world. I doubt many people will be using more than a fraction of their 20 gears in any case! Ok I also need to find a way to get lots of attention without having to go too fast but mainly I just wanted to know what it is like!

I'm riding a 40 : 16 (pictured) which means that the bike goes 5.6m for every pedal revolution. That means I'll pedal around 32 000 revolutions - somewhat higher than 'normal' as I'll be undergeared.
Here is the cadence range I'll be riding:

RPM             80 85 90 95 100
speed(kph)    27 29 30 32 34

Morrison was on his last legs as a rusty red racer when Stuart rescued him and gave him a nice pair of track wheels. Big thanks go to Mr Kane for lending me his bike (and also the 'ironfixi' idea). Training partner Mick helped me out with the pedals and shoes so it was really a team effort to get me to the start line! Thanks to Russel for planting the seed of the idea, to Brenda for all her encouragement and Tony for the runs. I struggle with motivation at times and knowing that so many people are encouraging me and supporting me motivated me far more that the desire to get a fast time. Sure I'd love to go back to Kona one day but that is a story for another day...

Well the santa hat is securely fastened to my helmet and Morrison is all kitted up with silver tinsel. My 'race outfits' are 

I'm as ready as I'm going to be! I've done some good training in the last 6 weeks and I'm prepared for whatever is served up to me through the race :-)

I'm number 120. You can follow my progress at www.ironmanlive.com

I'll see you on the other side of the finish line!

D

No comments: