Friday, December 16, 2005

UK here I come!

On Monday I finished packing just in time and Claire gave me a lift to the airport :-) My flight was uneventful, although I met some cool people, including Molly, a triathlete from Wellington, NZ who was on her way to the UK with her sister Jessica to spend Christmas and NY with relatives.

The Cathay Pacific airbus from Sydney to Hong Kong was brand new and boasted laptop charging facilities (hooray!) and internet connection. The latter didn't work but is clearly the way of the future! At HK airport I connected to the wireless network and sent some quick emails. I also used Skpe Out to make a couple of calls to the UK from my iBook. Rather cool to be talking to Red in the UK for a cent per minute whilst wandering around the terminal. I only had to hang up as I got onto the plane. Tres cool Technology!!!

Landed at 0500 Tuesday morning and Dad picked me up from Heathrow and drove me home to Northampton :-) I haven't seen my dad since summer '03! I'm hoping to do some supply (casual) teaching for a couple of weeks in the New Year to help to fund the trip and I fired off my CV to 'Kingsthorpe Commuinty College' where I was a pupil from to 1988-1993. After lunch with my mum and a quick nap I headed down to London for a beer. The venue where we were meeting turned out not to exist anymore and I was unable to contact anyone to let them know plan B... BIG APOLOGIES to James and anyone else who couldn't find us. I was able to introduce two of my best mates Dom and Rob from the UK to Sydney training partners Charlotte and Kristian and Headed back to the Adair residence in St Albans where Dom lives with his wife Maria.


No comments: