Friday, January 20, 2006

Dunstan's UK Tour draws to a close...

Well my 6 weeks excellent weeks in the UK are drawing to a close. Lots good times with great people. Sorry if the blogging has been a bit sparse!

I've been doing my best to get around the UK and see as many people as possible and am doing a couple of weeks of supply teaching to finish off the trip.

I'm having a great final week in Northampton. Lots of challenge, especially in the classroom - teaching in a school that is in special measures - ie under threat of being closed down. This week is their follow up Offsted inspection. Yesterday one of the inspectors went onto the field when a fight was in progress and had a burger thrown at her! Most of the classes need a pretty high level of behaviour management so it is keeping me honest!

Thought for Thursday 19th Jan 2006:

"A lot of the kids at school seem to think that I (their supply teacher) am there for their entertainment and try their hardest to get a predictable reaction. Well they are most mistaken - I'm actually there in a spirit of lovingkindness and light humour to help them to learn and to grow as people. Often I feel as though certain individuals are the ones who are providing entertainment for me and the rest of the class!"

... love that shit!


When I get back to Sydney I'll be starting my course in Anthroposophy with a view to becoming a Waldorf teacher. I will miss many aspects of my job at NumberWorks and there will be many sad farewells but I am fully excited about the start of the next chapter of my antipodean adventure. It seems as though the Steiner approach treats a person as'an acorn to be nurtured in growth', rather than a 'vessel that needs to be filled' and this is something I believe in my heart.

I'll also be running Total Immersion swim workshops, setting up swim squad, getting more involved with Rob's Run teaching, helping friends with their triathlon training and perhaps doing some supply teaching and maths tuition.

Plenty to keep me busy there!

No comments: