Monday, October 17, 2005

9:33:15 – Happier than Larry!

1:03 swim, 5:03 bike, 3:20 run

Well I’ve finished and it was an amazing day. Certainly one of the best in my life so far! Completing an Ironman takes a while, and every day has its highs and lows.


My main aim for the day was to enjoy the race and soak up as much of the experience as possible. I also wanted to 'push my envelope' by having the race of my life. I had no specific target time in mind, although 10 hours was always a subconcious barrier. All of these things I achieved. The ride was fast due to the smooth surface and kind conditions. The marathon was a PB and the first part of my run felt amazing!

Some of my highlights were:
• Seeing some of the disabled athletes being carried into the water for the swim start, let me tell you, that IS inspiring
• Treading water watching the pro start, pier packed full of people, helicopters overhead.
• Finishing the swim
• The first 80km of the bike leg – sitting of an average of 38kph!
• Working with Phil on the bike at the start of the climb to Hawi (“har-v”)
• Getting back to civilisation on the bike!
• The first 30km of the run. It felt effortless – F-A-S-T.

• Seeing Mel out at the energy lab.
• Getting water, ice and coke from some of the kids on the aid stations. These kids rock!
• The final 2 km, down Alii Drive and into the finish chute, feeding off the emotion.

Thank you to everyone for the awesome messages you have been sending to me. I've had so much support throught cyberspace and it gives me a really strong anchor!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to read that you are doing what you love, and that you are kicking *rse at it too!!

Congratulations!!

Awesome stuff ... good to 'hear' from you again, mate!!

Anonymous said...

Dunstanbb- you are amazing!
can't wait to see you. TDbb

Anonymous said...

Dunstan B,
It sounds like you've loved every second of your human hawaii adventure, and justly so - I can only imagine how much hard work and dedication it must have taken to get there in the first place!! Congratulations on a fantastic result. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only blog reader inspired by Dunstan the person and what he achieves : )

melissamae said...

stumbled apon your blog. congratulations on the your times and even being brave enough to enter the ironman. the pictures are really great!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you had such a great time!

Further, that you achieved a PB, that is awesome news.

Look forward to celebrating your return.

Peter.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think that our naked romp on the beach at Coffs Harbour gave you the inspiration to do Hawaii, but I doubt it. Just the same,I watched you throughout the day, like I did throughout that night...You're a BIG man!

You know who!