Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Kona, here I come! – Part 4

I'm on my way to the airport and looking forward to experiencing one of the most unusual and beautiful landscapes in the world. I have heard a lot about the race but am aware that I really know very little. I'm expecting the unexpected and looking forward to one of the best adventures of my life and soaking up as much of the experience as I can!

The big island is awesome. 2 main industries here are tourism and astronomy, on account of the clear skies. Ranching is also big, as is Ginger and Macadamia nut production. Just touched down in Kona airport. Its one of the coolest airports I've been through. As you fly in the overwhelming impression is one of blackness from the lava around the airport. You step out into the heat and down onto the runway. Into the terminal and past the queue of people waiting to board the same plane! Its 100% pedestrian, not a conveyor belt or walkway in sight!

I’m staying with my good friend and training partner Melissa Ashton and several of her friends – Britt, Jacqui, Andrew (Mel’s brother) and Brendon (Mel’s Husband). Monday was a day off for travelling. John took me to the iconic Lava Java hotel for some lunch and free wireless internet ☺. The accommodation is at Luna Pule, about 1km out of town along the Ali’i Drive (that’s pronounced Aleehee) which is part of the bike course and the run course. Put my bike together again and wandered down to the Kailua Pier to check out the transition areas and the swim course. 1.9 km out and 1.9 km back! That’s like swimming 2 lengths of an Olympic rowing lake. Most Ironman swims are 2 lap affairs and unsurprisingly, this one looks like a long way too!


This morning was my first ride on the legendary smooth roads. Mel led us out of town along the Queen Kaahumanu Highway (Queen K for short) and into the lava fields. A few solitary pieces of white coral form a sharp contrast to the black-brown of the lava and are also used to write messages along the side of the road, a kind of eco-friendly graffiti. The Queen K runs parallel to the coast and passes the Natural Energy Lab (most distant part of the run course) and the Airport. We spotted a few lava goats and also a donkey crossing!? See photo above... Later on I ran out along Ali’i drive with Dan McGuigan. Kona is truly a triathlon paradise, there is even free Gatorade at the side of the road so you can help yourself while you are training! Well that’s all for now, I’m off to swim.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see that the old CAmbridg Tri top is still doing you good service.

All the best

Chris